i don't indulge often. seriously. but lately i've been really hating sitting at my computer desk working my butt off and feeling like my butt is huge. i know i'm not fat. but i feel like i've gained some weight over the last year or two. and i wish i could attribute the weight to being pregnant, but alas i can not. so i decided to DO something about it. and that is, go running. for those who don't know...i hate running. i think i get bored more than actually hate it. so today i went and picked up this....
a lovely lime green ipod shuffle. they just dropped in price, they clip on to your clothes and they hold more songs than i could ever get through with my sorry out of shape butt. i'm trying to fight what jonathan calls "Cognitive dissonance is a state of mental conflict" which is
"Cognitive dissonance is a psychological state that describes the uncomfortable feeling between what one holds to be true and what one knows to be true. Similar to ambivalence, the term cognitive dissonance describes conflicting thoughts or beliefs (cognitions) that occur at the same time, or when engaged in behaviors that conflict with one's beliefs. In academic literature, the term refers to attempts to reduce the discomfort of conflicting thoughts, by performing actions that are opposite to one's beliefs."
In other words, i don't like feeling out of shape, but i do NOTHING to change it. well today my lime green ipod and i are going to change that.... and right now my sweet husband of 14 months is loading lots of good running music on it.... horray for music fiends.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Fighting Cognitive dissonance one ipod at a time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 very worthwile comments:
i've been thinking of doing the EXACT same thing myself! i even have the lime green ipod! let's fight cognitive dissonance together!
one for all all for one!!!!! charge!!!!
At first I read pregnant, and was like what?! but then I kept reading. I hope you enjoy running more now with the ipod. I actually (well, most of the time) really really enjoy it. It clears my head and lets me think. I go running when I need to mull over things. Hope you have fun with it now!! And btw, when I saw you last I totally remember thinking how skinny you are! You look great!
I HATE to exercise!!! I have a friend that runs all the time and she told me that the only way she can even stand to run is if she has her ipod. I do admit it makes a huge difference. Good Luck....it sucks!
Love the shuffle! I won't run without it either, but when do I run? It's been a while. You might have to stop by and pick me up along your way!
Great night of freesyle ping pong and wii! " cognitive dissonance' very impressive! I do think you should jog by my house, it would be a great photo opp. ! Monday i will kick your arse in tennis!
Post a Comment