So I've become addicted to marketing lately. it's one of the most important things i do in my job and so therefore I've been spending a lot of time and effort doing and researching it. well lately I've really felt like my city is being poorly marketed. yes i do think cities are marketed and can be made better by the amount and effort the council takes to 'up the image'.
this is one great example. this is our city's 'logo' i guess. i personally am not a huge fan, it looks like a logo that a kid in high school made using Photoshop's Gradient tool.
Then recently I discovered that this is the city's actual logo or city flag (i guess)
On a personal level the Flag, is totally pimp! it says TONS in just the imagery. and i LOVE it! Now why does my city not use this? I HAVE NO IDEA! poor advice? council? didn't want to make someone feel bad for the other design? or just no flippin idea as to how to appeal to people?
My city is near Scottsdale, one of the greatest cities in the world. we are only a little drive. I usually work in Scottsdale. When i was up there recently I realized that Scottsdale really knows how to market their city. They do. They've designed it well, it's clean, new/modern ect.
So lately I've been pretty annoyed at my city government. Why is everyone feeling sorry for themselves? Why is nothing apparent being done to upgrade our town? To make is a quaint fun place to be? I would love it if there was more going on in our city. I would love our downtown to revitalize. I would love for our schools to improve. I would love for our government to be run just a bit more like a company and just a little bit less like the government. Just get things done, expect results, expect the best.
So I know, enough complaining.
Recently when Jonathan and I were driving I told him about this crazy idea that had crossed my mind a few weeks prior. I decided that I wanted to get political (I am not a political person at all, it's a bit much for me). But if I can step up and help my community make better, wiser choices in some way I just might do it. So I'm looking around at the possibility of joining a committee in the city council. We'll see how obnoxious it is. I really do think that if we are going to complain about our communities, it had better be AFTER we've done our part to help them not suck.
So we'll see. Maybe someday I'll be the mayor of this town and turn it around. Well at least I'd pick a better public logo.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
marketing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 very worthwile comments:
You are so funny Darby. I love reading your blogs. I couldn't agree more about the lame, out dated logo. I think you need to just submit your blog entry to the City of Mesa-- you pretty much say it all!
P.s.
If you join the city council ask if we can have a better playground at the duck park!! Talk about a ghetto park with metal slides!!
That is very commendable!
A woman mayor? Now I've heard everything...
This is cool, because my Jon was saying something similar after our last round of elections. He even went and volunteered at our party's headquarters in the city making phone calls. Well, he learned something interesting: basically everyone (in that party) knows the person who runs the hq so if you go there it is really easy to make contacts and get to know the people who will get you onto committees. From there you move on to councils, etc and on up the political totem pole. So if you are serious, you might want to look up where your party's hq is held and drop by for some info on how to get involved. You might just make a difference!
I'll vote for you. Mayor Darby. That's a name you would remember.
Just so you know. I really would vote for you.
Post a Comment