Monday: 2:30pm
Jonas had been having a stuffy head all weekend, no biggie, he's 2.5 months old. Over the last two hours or so it had gotten worse, to the point where he was retracting a lot when he was trying to breathe. We'd tried everything to clear his nose, but he was still super stuffed up. I was a little worried and had wandered over to my mom's house where she noticed it as well. She suggested I call the DR and get him in, just to make sure he was ok and not getting pneumonia or anything.
So I called, told them his symptoms and they said they could squeeze me in at 3:45. So I told Jonathan to head home, if he could, cause we were taking Jonas in and I needed the car, plus it would be nice to have him with me.
Monday: 4pm
The DR get's us in, checks Jonas out. Jonas has a ear infection, no surprise there. His lungs sound clean, but the dr wants to make so so he sends us over to get an xray. We husstle over get it done and get back to the dr office.
Monday: 4:50pm
Dr looks at the xray and listens to Jonas fast breathing and is getting a little concerned. Over the next 15 minutes or so 2 other DR's come in and look at him and at the xray and tell us that his heart looks a little enlarged. At this point we are getting a little freaked out. The all of a sudden the DR starts talking about him needing to see a cardiologist and admitting him to the hospital.
Monday: 5:45pm
Dr let's us know that they are working on getting him a bed at the hospital. We are getting mega worried and the pacing begings.
Monday: 6:30pm
Dr tells us to head on over to the hospital.
Monday: 7:00pm
We arrive at the hospital and wander around forever trying to figure out where we need to be.
Monday: 7:30pm
We arrive at the ER and wait in line in shock (the ER is a bit scary)
Monday: 7:40pm
We tell ER our name and they know who we are (I guess when the issue is a heart issue, there's no messing around). A gal comes out and takes us to the PICU.
Monday: 8pm
We are admitted
Monday 8:30pm
Nurses come in and start prepping Jonas with tubes, air, and IV. They suck out his nose so he can breathe better. EKG tech arrives and takes a reading on Jonas. Words like Congestive Heart Failure is thrown around a few times. This is especially scary as we have a nephew with heart issues and I have 3 first cousins with heart issues.
Monday 9pm
My parents arrive and my dad and Jonathan administer a blessing of healing upon Jonas.
Monday 9:30pm
Cardiologist arrives and they start an ultrasound of his heart. About two minutes into it the Cardiologist says the magical words, his heart looks totally normal. Big sigh of relief!
Monday 10pm
Nurses finish taking all of Jonas' vitals and blood samples
Monday 10:30-Tuesday 8pm
Lots of waiting for the cultures to come back negative so we can go home.
It was a really scary experience and helped put many things in focus. I don't know if we'll ever know if the xray was just really misleading, or if we witnessed a miracle, but regardless my faith has been strengthened in God and I'm grateful the heavens were looking out for us on Monday.
















Wednesday, April 15, 2009
our trip to intensive care
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 very worthwile comments:
what a scary experience! his little arm with an iv is so sad :( i'm glad jonas is okay (minus the ear infection).
My heart was pounding for you as I read your post. That is so scary.
I'm so glad everything was okay.
The ER is no fun. I'm glad he's okay, though! (Did the nurse use an aspirator on his nose, or a tube hooked to the wall? Those things are amazing and I wish they would sell them OTC.)
My goodness, that was scary even just reading. I'm so glad Jonas is ok!
OH My GOSH! I had no idea! I am so glad that everything turned out to be perfect!
Oh Darb, I am so glad he's ok. I've been there when you feel so helpless and you don't know what kind of a turn things will take.
The power of the priesthood is amazing. Glad to hear everything is good :-)
I'm so sorry, and so glad that everything is okay. The priesthood is truly an amazing thing.
I am so glad that everything is ok. I love that you managed to get a picture of him smiling, even though he's got tubes and wires everywhere!
wow, what a blessing that all is ok! That must have been quite a scary experience though! At least you got some cute pictures of Jonas in the hospital. Even the IV picture is cute. :)
Thank heavens everything turned out fine. Babies are scary little things. I, too, am extremely grateful for the priesthood.
What the!? I am still panting from the suspense of your story. Having a baby in the hospital is something I hope I never experience. I am so glad that little Jonas is healthy. And Darbs... the priesthood is such a gift. Way to work your faith girl.
Post a Comment