Ok, mini story then yummy easy recipe headed your way.
Three months ago my darling mother-in-law came to meet little Jonas. While she was here, she set a show called "Americas Test Kitchen" to record on our TiVo. I've watched maybe one or two episodes, it doesn't come on too often.
Today there was an episode on the TiVo and on a whim I decided to see what the main course was. After watching it I decided to give it a go, because I had almost all of the ingredients on hand! When does that ever happen. You see, a while back I'd purchased a little pruschetto (a cured Italian ham that is sliced really really thin) with the full intent to use it. Shocker, I never did.
So today I finally used it in this meal and it was fabulous. The lemon made the recipe nice and light while the pruschetto added a nice salty unique flavor. For the sauce I used some cooking sherry I had in the pantry. I made a side of rice as a filler. The pruschetto I had was the least expensive kind and it still tasted great.
Pruschetto Wrapped Chicken
Prepare and bread chicken -
- Chicken needs to be totally thawed, I butterflied mind to make four pieces from two chicken breasts.
- Make sure chicken is as dry as possible.
Mix 1/2 flour and 1 tsp pepper ; bread chicken - Sprinkle some rubbed sage on chicken
- Place a piece of pruschetto on top of chicken
Prepare Oil -
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place several sage leaves in oil for 15 seconds ( I didn't have any so I skipped this step)
- remove sage leaves and set aside
Cook Chicken -
- Lay chicken pruschetto side down in oil - 2-3 minutes on each side (at most 4 minutes)
- Flip chicken and cook on other side for 2-3 minutes (cook at most 4 minutes)
- Put chicken in oven to keep warm
Sauce
- drain grease from pan, don't wash use pan, flavors from the chicken will enhance the sauce
- Remove pan from heat and add 1 1/4 cups cooking wine, return to heat and simmer 5 minutes - let liquid reduce
- Stir in 2 tbs lemon juice (the recipe didn't specify so I guessed and this amount worked)
- Wisk in 4 tbs butter
- Salt and pepper to taste (I gave it a few grinds of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper)
- Add some minced parsley
Serve
- Spoon sauce over chicken and rice.
- If you sizzled the bay leaves in the oil at the beginning place one bay leaf on each piece of chicken and enjoy!
Jon and I both loved this and figure it's a good one to make if you have friends coming over for dinner and want to eat something that 'feels' a little fancy. I also think Couscous would be delish in place of rice.

2 very worthwile comments:
I'm on my way out to go grocery shopping and this sounds really good. It kind of sounds like a fancy/easier version of chicken cordon bleu. I'm trying it. I love when you give yummy recipes. Thanks.
i've never tried prosciutto but i've heard it's really good. did jon like it?
Post a Comment