Saturday, June 28, 2008

Why I love Sister Savings.net


So I love saving money. My current food budget is modest, but I always try to spend less so I can put money towards year supply stuff. Well I just got back from Albertsons (thanks to sistersavings.net and my momma's cookbook for recipies) I was able to spend 38 bucks and save 46! And some of it was year supply-ish stuff (ie non perishables that are good to have in a stocked pantry. )

Speaking of my food budget, one reason I love my husband is his incredible knowledge of budgeting. He has developed a very very simple system for flexible budgeting that I have come to love. He calls it 'Within Means', which pretty much means a way to live within your means putting needs before wants. And the funny thing is, even though we have lots of bills to pay every month, we still end up with plenty of money being saved up to fun stuff, which right now is a pantry room makeover (note to my brother in law E. we'll be needing you soon to do this makeover!). As well as adding to our long term savings. Anyway, if you ever want to learn how to create a functional budget, Jon would love to teach you. He's developing a program to teach people to live within their means and would love to test it out on anyone who's up for it!

Anyway go Albertsons and my $46 in savings!

8 very worthwile comments:

Mom / Jolene said...

WOW! That's better than shopping at the Dollar Store!. Way to go. I'm going to hop right on over to that website. (Is that shopping on Sunday?)

Megan said...

I do have to give some props to my mom about the whole "budget" thing. She made us get on a budget the second we had a job. I'm so grateful for that. I think that Jeff and I are able to do a lot of things because we budget our money.

Coree Adams said...

GO DARBY!!!

Kristyn said...

I'll be your guinea pig. If he really wants someone to try it on. Paul and I created a budget, and it works, I just keep thinking there's got to be a better way to do it. We use Google docs to track it all, and it's worked quite well, but I LOVE hearing about others' ways of budgeting, so I'm curious to see what he does. I've become obsessed with the topic ever since we started our budget, I'm always looking up online finance things.

Lisa said...

I'm a bit curious as to his strategy. We try to be frugal in general, but don't really have an offical budget.

Let me know if you want me for a test subject. I'm willing.

Simple Simon said...

We don't have Albertson's out here in hillbillytown, NC. the closest thing we have is Piggly Wiggly (yes, thats really the name) and you n=might as well shop in the food section at the DI (which we also don't have)

scott

Muffin said...

Hey Jon,We'd love to know your budgeting techniques. Please feel free to try them out on us and we'll let you know if it works!

Lifes Delish said...

That's my girl!! Love to save money! I hit that sale and saved some serious cash!Though my goodwill stuff a bag for $5 day was the ultimate!