Tuesday, May 12, 2009

darby vs dinner





I'm terrible. I'll get on a kick and make dinner for a while then I slide and we eat cold cereal and whatever other remnants we can scrounge in the fridge for days at a time.

I'm not saying things will ever change. But today I did make dinner and it was really yummy, so I thought I'd share the recipe. I forgot to take a photo though, I know lame.


Slow-Cooked BBQ Chicken on homemade Kaiser Rolls.

BBQ Sauce (if you are in the mood). I ended up not having enough, so I supplemented with some bottled sauce I had in the fridge.

Here's where I got the recipe.
(http://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce.html)

Grandma's Homemade Barbecue Sauce
* 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes or 1 cup of ketchup
* 6 tablespoons brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons vinegar
* 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon dry English mustard
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* A pinch of salt and pepper
* Red Chillies / Chili Sauce to your taste.

Just throw everything into the saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 45 mins or so until you have a nice thick sauce.



Then I tossed two frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts into the crockpot, tossed the sauce over them and set it on low for a 6-8 hours

When it was nearly done I gave it a few squirts with the bottled sauce to make it nice and sauce.



The Rolls
I love homemade bread. And I also like not having to run to the store just to buy stupid bread.

I've been wanting to get a recipe that features a nice moderately crunchy crust and a nice 'dense' crumb, to be able to use as a good sandwich roll.

The bread blogs I love
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
and
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

were inspiring me today. So I found a recipe for Kaiser rolls that looked good.

The actual time from start to finish on the rolls is about three hours, so I'd suggest making them in the morning. They are ultra easy, but require two one hour risings.
I also didn't have the malt the recipe calls for, but they were still good. I think I'm going to get some for my pantry though, because this recipe is a keeper.

It easily feeds 4. The roll recipe yields 8 nice rolls and the two chicken breasts are ample to fill those.

Next time I make it I'm going to make a small side of baked beans... oh so yummy.

Side note, the chicken was really good and if I hadn't known it for myself I'd have sworn it was pork, so it's a good cheap alternate!


ok Kaiser Roll Recipe is here. It's easier to look at their page, because it includes great photos!
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/kaiserrolls

1 very worthwile comments:

Megan said...

That sounds really good. It also sounds like an awful lot of work for bbq sauce. Was it worth it? The rolls always seem worth it, but maybe not the sauce. Let me know and I'll try it.